2019 SAUVIGNON BLANC
We picked ripe, healthy fruit by hand, relatively early to make sure everything was super-fresh. We carefully sorted and gently pressed the grapes, then fermented some of the juice (30%) in stainless steel tanks to retain freshness. Fermentation temperatures were nice and cool for heightened aromatics. The other 70% was fermented in tight-grained French oak barrels (30% new) where the wine matured for six months. We also stirred the lees to build palate weight and depth.
True to the vintage, the Dominique Portet Yarra Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2019 rises from the glass with beguiling promise. It has aromas of white blossom, lime zest, white stone fruits, dry grass and honeycomb. That same array comes through on a palate that is delightfully light on its feet. There’s textural interest from creamy lees and the barrel-fermented parcel, but the overall impression is of delicacy and finesse. The hallmark limey acidity gives a crackle to the stone fruit, citrus and wet-stone notes, which retain great focus through the beautifully balanced finish.